MOCK MEAT CAKES

Ingredients

½ cup dried peas or beans
5 medium potatoes
½ cup grated cheese
½ cup fine breadcrumbs
1 egg (beaten)
1 tablespoon melted bacon fat
salt and pepper

Method—Soak peas or beans over night, then boil until very tender. Boil and mash potatoes. Add mashed beans, grated cheese, bread-crumbs, beaten egg, bacon fat and seasonings. When cool shape into cakes, dip into cornmeal and fry.

WHY ARE SOME WOMEN

happy, beloved, and successful, while others drag out a negative existence, of no use to themselves or anyone else? Except in a few cases the answer is to be found in a state of freedom from the troubles known as "female." The well woman radiates cheerfulness and serenity, while the ailing one repels you with her despondency. It is not necessary, however, to harbor aches and pains, and the "blues," which make one a detriment to society. The use of Lydia E. Pinkham's Vegetable Compound has brought relief to such women, and given them a new lease of life.

"A GENERAL RUN-DOWN CONDITION"

"I was in a general run-down condition, with a weak back and tired feeling, so that I did not feel like working. My mother was taking Lydia E. Pinkham's Vegetable Compound and recommended it to me, so I have taken it, and my back is better and I am now able to do my work. I recommend the Vegetable Compound to my neighbors and you may publish this letter."