WAR CAKE

Ingredients

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
2 cups raisins
⅓ cup fat
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
few grains salt.

Method—Boil the above ingredients together for three minutes. Let cool. When cold add 1 teaspoon soda dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water. Add 2 cups flour in which 1 teaspoon baking powder has been sifted. Bake in a moderate oven.

PANTRY HELPS

If butter is too hard to serve, heat a bowl with boiling water and turn the empty bowl over the butter. This will not waste or impair the taste of the butter.

ARE YOU INTERESTED

in a letter from a woman in South Africa who takes Lydia E. Pinkham's Vegetable Compound?

"ONE OF YOUR LITTLE BOOKS"

"I took Lydia E. Pinkham's Vegetable Compound for weakness and because I felt run down. I tried a lot of medicine before I tried yours. One day I was standing on my stoop when a boy came up to me and handed me one of your little books. I read the book, and the next day my husband went to a chemist and bought me a bottle of Lydia E. Pinkham's Vegetable Compound. I have taken the medicine ever since and I feel quite strong and well now as I am on the sixth bottle. I have written to my sister and told her all about the wonders it has done for me, and I am quite willing for you to use my name, as I cannot thank you enough for what it has done for me."